terça-feira, 20 de janeiro de 2015

The Rosie Project


Hello guys! Hope this post finds you in good spirits. This one is going to be about a book and books in general.

I was at the airport having coffee and waiting for my flight when I realized: S%*t, I forgot my book at home. So, I just ran to the closest book shop and bought: The Rosie Project.

I didn't have much time to choose and usually when I'm book shopping I like to take my time. It's a ritual: read a few covers,  have a look at some reviews, sometimes read the first pages; then walk around, sees what other people are choosing (bit nosy, I know ;)) and then, I choose my book.

When I lived in London, I loved going to this book shop at Fulham Road, Daunt Books. They have some unexpected titles, it was there that I got The Alienist (Machado de Assis) translated to english. The shop has a nice atmosphere... I don't know if it's the shelves in oak, the people that goes there or mix of both, but the place makes you feel in a real book shop you know? Not those book-shops-dvd-eletronics kinda shop which books are only seem as entertainment.

But, anyway, what was I saying? Oh yeah: The Rosie Project. I really, really, REALLY enjoyed the book. It wasn't only because my expectations were low (as I said I didn't have much time to get it) but because the book it is, indeed, BRILLIANT (just to sound I bit British. Amazing how Brits looove to say brilliant... but this is a topic for another post maybe?).

I'm not a super fast reader, however this book I finished in a week. I just couldn't put it down, it was when I learned what a "page turner" is. To sum up, it is a love story between a genetics professor that thinks waaaay too logical, he has a shelf for each day of the week with the correspondent food of the day, I know a bit paranoid. So, imagine his world going upside down when he meets Rosie a emotional, smoker, red hair woman that it also happens to be a psychology student. It is hilarious to see the way he thinks and try to racionalize what's happening to him while he is falling in love and all the situations that Rosie and he got into.



I will say no more otherwise I will spoil it. The author is Graeme Simsion (Rosie Project is his debut novel) and I have to say: while I was reading I had the impression that there is a lot of the author in Don, but aren't all the characters based in real people?!



If you are looking for a sweet girly story (written by a man!) The Rosie Project is for you. Fans of One Day -David Nicholls (oh man, I looove that book) will also like it, for sure.

Can't talk about books and not talk about the app "Goodreads". You get reviews, can organize your book in shelves (to read, reading, read, favorites, etc) you also get recommendations that are selected according to your books.  When in a shop it is possible to scan the bar code of a certain book and get loads of info. Great, very useful.

Going to finish this now... today is Thursday and for us in The Middle East is the last day of the week, so it basically feels like Friday. That said I just wanna enjoy the first day of my weekend with a big mug of hot chocolate and a new book. How are going to start yours?

Beijos!






Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Obrigada por seu comentario!