sexta-feira, 16 de janeiro de 2015

Dubai



I just got back from Dubai, it was my second time there. This time, unlike the first time when  my daughter was only 3 months old and we didn't have much parenting experience, I can say that I really got to see and enjoy the place.

I know every city has its own peculiarities that makes them unique, but Dubai is something else. It's different from anything else I've seen. In Europe most of the cities have the same pattern: river, bridge,  european style architecture (and don't get me wrong, I loooove this pattern). Dubai doesn't have a river or the lovely bridges but it has amazing architecture that combines flash skyscrapers with arabic style design.  In Doha you also get the skyscrapers and the arabic thing but you don't get the atmosphere, the lights, movement and vibrancy. I don't know any other cities in the Middle East but I dare to say that Dubai is the most alive, vibrant and international city in this part of the world.

Cayan Tower - the twisted building - home for a week :)
We stayed at the Marina Jumeirah so it would be difficult not to enjoy the holiday anyway as the location is one of the best in the city. The marina has a nice skyline with many modern buildings, we stayed at the Cayan Tower, also known as the "twisted building" in reference to its shape. The view from the 48 floor was  very beautiful, we could see all the marina and a good part of the Palm (man made island). There are many restaurants and cafes options at the marina and because we were on a family trip that included a 14 months old baby and a 80 years old man we went t0 the marina a lot to hang out and eat. There is one fountain that all mummies and babies go to... my daughter loved watching the fountain and its lights.


But speaking of the few Dubai attractions that I've been to, there is one place in particular that really got me: Madinat Jumeirah. It is a complex with souq (street market), 2 hotels and restaurants. The place is amazing! There is a river and boats that takes you around the area, you can choose if you want to walk or take a  boat to a restaurant. Something like a Middle East little Venice. The decoration is pure arabic, but not the red-and-gold-ostentation-tacky style that some arabs like, but classy, chic and minimalist style. We had dinner at a lebanese place with a view over the river, food was delicious and accompanied by shisha and a chat with friends. I didn't have time to check the souq out properly but the little i saw was really nice, kiosks with calligraphy making, jewels (of course! arabs looove their jewels), souvenirs, clothes and more. Everything was very authentic and pretty, quite different from Souq Waqif in Doha where you find camels with "made in china" tags on its back.

Madinat Jumeirah

I also went to the Dubai Mall, the biggest mall in the world, where you can find anything, I mean ANYTHING you want. It's almost impossible not to get carried away with the shopping frenzy... actually, I had the impression that Dubai is not the place to worry about money, it's the type of place that you can't go backpacking and calculate a budget for meals for instance. Oh no, the place screams spend money! All the glamour, the shops... I don't know... everything is just made with the intention of making you spend, it's part of the experience, the best of arabic consumerism at work.  It will probably be to late by the time you realize that you've bought a Gucci bag that you didnt't really intend to buy (ooops! :))

Dubai is so much more liberal that Doha, women wear anything they want and it is common to see local girls having their tea & shisha at night. In Doha it's rare to see women without a man in a club or  a restaurant in the evening. I'm almost used to this tea & shisha thing, it's the way the arabs socialize, who needs alcohol when you have that? I do, my husband does. But you know, once you are living in a place with a completely different culture, you have to adjust. That's why we went to watch a futebol game in a dry restaurant (no alcohol) where we had tea & shisha and you know what? it wasn't so bad.



Last but not least place I'd like to mention the Burj Khalifa. The tallest building in the world: 163 floors, beautiful, imposing, awesome! From there you really feel like you are standing on top of the clouds. I recommend you book a trip to the top of the Burj Khalifa at least a week in advance as  it is always fully booked, also note that tickets are considerably cheaper on line than if you get them at the Burj.

Well, I think that's it guys. Hope I can write more in 2015. Let's see, let's see.

kiss and cheese. beijos e queijos.


Um comentário:

Obrigada por seu comentario!